Renovations to Hoosac Hall on the MCLA campus consisted of a two-phase renovation. The first phase consisted of a re-design and update of the building’s core of the eight story building. Lounges, bathrooms, and other ancillary spaces.
The second phase was a complete re-design of the building’s entry sequence to allow the entire first floor to be converted into additional dormitory rooms and lounges, adding an additional 27 beds to the building. A new building entrance was designed at the lower level, which opens to grade at one end of the building. The lower level was designed to be a new Student Center for the building’s 262 occupants. A multi-purpose room for up to 175 occupants, a common kitchen, laundry, lounge areas, offices, and storage areas were designed for the new entry level. The old entry vestibule was transformed into a large, new, sun-filled conference room which also acts as a beacon for the newly renovated building, at night.
This project won a 2013 Accessible Design Award jointly sponsored by the Boston Society of Architects (BSA) and the Massachusetts Architectural Access Board (MAAB). The award recognizes Hoosac Hall at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts for the utilization of accessible architecture, which dramatically improved the appearance and use of the facility.
This historic building was carefully designed to ensure that the small additions blended well with the stately 1930's flagship residence hall. The new barrel-vaulted entrance roofs that faced the campus and new doors had to look like they were original, and the expanded dining and commercial kitchen room had to maintain it's traditional character. Renovations occurred throughout the building, including reorganization of the basement and old "maid's quarters throughout the residential floors. Renovations touched all areas of the building, including corridors, lounges, elevators, 144 dormitory rooms, a new commercial kitchen and dining facilities. Man of these areas were reconfigured to function better for modern college life. The historic renovation included a complete replacement of existing mechanical, electrical, fire alarm and sprinkler systems in a manner compatible with existing finishes.
Marc worked closely with the Campus School Director and Staff to make connections between two starkly different buildings in order to create one new, unified school. An extensive study process was provided that led to a program to provide new K-6 classrooms in the former laundry building; the added challenge was the integration of that structure with the adjacent administrative offices, which were housed in a historic stucco building with a 1960’s masonry addition. Marc designed a curved link building with a ramp and an elevator tower. Marc developed a great relationship with some of the staff, which led to Marc teaching Architecture to the students in Mr. Weiner's 6th grade class for the next 10 years.
This renovation included re-programming the traffic flow in the college's gateway building. This classic, 32,000 square foot building was built in 1875 and originally housed the entire Smith College campus. The project called for reorganizing the placement of student-oriented offices and administrative offices. Many existing offices were renovated and additional office spaces were created out of available space to house 14 departments. The renovations included building-wide mechanical, fire alarm, sprinkler, electrical and accessibility upgrades.
This three-story wood-framed building, built in 1838, is an early childhood education center. It is home to a laboratory and teaching school associated with Smith College and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A sensitive renovation was required to provide needed upgrades to the building as well as creating more space for the center’s 90 children (infants through preschoolers). This program was met without enlarging the existing, historic building, while making the first floor fully accessible to the disabled.
This project involved the relocation and reconstruction of a historic horse barn on the University of Massachusetts Amherst campus. The building is now being used by the Student Agriculture Center for processing their produce. Much of the original post & beam structure and selected historic horse pens were preserved. Exterior wood cladding, barn doors, metal standing seam roof, eyebrow windows, and cupolas were replaced according to existing conditions and historic images. To comply with building codes, a new stair and two new bathrooms were built within the existing footprint.